Recent Cosmetic Surgery Statistics 2005
In a recent survey in 2005 we found that cosmetic surgery is more popular than ever. It is no longer just for the rich and famous, as more and more everyday people opt for surgery to improve their lives.
Men seem to be more accepting of the new industry too, from representing only 8% in 2004, men now account for 11% of the total procedures. Women had 19,601 procedures in 2005, up from 15,019 the previous year. The top procedure for women was breast augmentation, with 5,646 carried out - a 51% rise since 2004.
Rhinoplasty continues to be the top procedure for men. Anti-ageing procedures such as facelifts, eyelid surgery and brow lifts showed a huge rise in popularity in the last year, increasing by 42.1%, 50.2% and 34.8%, respectively.
While the majority of cosmetic surgery continues to be carried out on women, the number of men having aesthetic procedures rose from 1,348 in 2004 to 2,440.
The top ten surgical procedures for men & women in 2005 were, in order of popularity:
- Breast augmentation - up 51.4% from 2004
- Blepharoplasty - up 50.2%
- Breast Reduction - up 9.3%
- Face/Neck Lift - up 42.1%
- Rhinoplasty - up 34.7%
- Abdominoplasty - up 24.4%
- Liposuction (major) - up 24.9%
- Otoplasty (ears) - up 28.1%
- Liposuction (minor) - up 9.6%
- Brow lifts - up 34.8%
Women had 89% of all cosmetic procedures; 19,601, up from 15,019 in 2004. The top five surgical procedures for women in 2004 were: breast augmentation, blepharoplasty, breast reduction, face/neck lift, and rhinoplasty.
Men had 2,440 cosmetic procedures, an increase of 1,092 from 2004. The top five surgical procedures for men in 2005 were: rhinoplasty, blepharoplasty, otoplasty, liposuction, and face/neck lift.
Cosmetic Surgery Procedures A-Z
- Forehead Reduction Surgery
- Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Hairline Lowering Surgery
- Inverted Nipple Correction
- Labial Reduction
- Thread Lift Silhouette Face
- Thread Lift Silhouette Neck
- Thread Vein Reduction
- Tooth Whitening
- Tummy Tuck